Tuesday, February 23, 2016

"And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free" - Bible Study Etiquette

Are your Bible Studies thriving? Are the studies full to capacity or standing room only? How about the participants, are they engaged, speaking up and speaking out; are they taking an active part in your studies?

It has been my experience as a participant early on to be afraid to take part in Bible study. My fear, as with many others, is the fear getting it wrong, saying something contrary to what others may be saying. I had my thoughts on a subject and my ideas of what the passage was saying but I thought that my sharing my thoughts would expose my lack of understanding.

However, I thank God for His servants who recognized my fear and encouraged me to share my thoughts. No matter what was said, it was handled in such a way that I was corrected and felt really great about it and invigorated to dive deeper into study so that God would use me in a similar way to help others gain knowledge, understanding and wisdom of God and God’s Word.

Today, I lead several studies with this great gift of providing an inviting, engaging and sharing setting for study. Not only do I lead, I still participate in other settings and I still share my thoughts in order that we may reason together and grow as brothers and sisters.

Differences should not be feared or avoided, but accepted and handled with love. We shouldn't expect everyone to agree on every subject. It is the sharing of ideas that leads each of us to a better/fuller understanding of what the Bible teaches us. We will benefit when we accept, listen to, and respect others.

Truly, differences of opinion need not cause division, but our differences can and should be a source of learning and unity in our relationships.

"Welcome with open arms fellow believers who don’t see things the way you do. And don’t jump all over them every time they do or say something you don’t agree with—even when it seems that they are strong on opinions but weak in the faith department. Remember, they have their own history to deal with. Treat them gently." (Romans 14:1 MSG)

No comments: