Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Decision Time

"How Long Halt Ye Between Two Opinions?" (1 Kings 18:21)


It is during these times that I find myself raising (have raised) a soon to be 21 year old son and another nearly 17 years old, that I begin to reflect back and oftentimes act like MY PARENTS.  I find myself asking (yelling) at them at times the same thing that was told (yelled at) me. The question was "Boy, you better make up your mind on what you want to do with your life!"


You see, as they are, I was.  Yep, indecisive, very opinionated, but easily swayed and influenced by others. We all were at one time or another. These days there are so many influences, schemes, devices and cleaverly disquised snares brought before our young people. The things that we were so concerned and sometimes overwhelmed with are nothing compared to what the enemy has devised to destroy our children of today!


I find it sometimes needful to "halt between two opinions," IF what is before you is not quite clear at the moment, BUT when the choice that you are having to make CLEARLY STANDS OUT as a "Right decision" or a "Wrong decision", your indecision can become sin! Why? again, CLEARLY you know the difference between right and wrong...we all do.  It is when you stand at the edge of deciding what to do or which way to go and cannot come to a clear deliniation of how to choose, is where sin comes in...simply because you are torn between doing right as equally as you are torn to do wrong. The one who cannot make their mind up as to doing what is right as they know it, is in danger of being ruined.


As an example of this, I remember when I was a young boy in middle school and all of the "smokers" would huddle across the street from our school to have their cigarettes. I know of so many who began smoking "just because" others asked them to try it so that they could be cool like them. Peer pressure is tough at that age as we want to fit in somewhere. However, I mentioned that not making a decision is putting us in danger of being ruined. The time of decision is at the time of temptation. If I know that smoking is wrong and decided beforehand that it wasn't something that I wanted to do to my body, then I cannot be tempted by it.  IF I have not made a decision on smoking and now I am confronted with it, I may very well give it a try, although I know that it is wrong.


In this state of indecision, no progress can be made, as long as the mind is not clear.  It is in these times of indecision that a halting person is a useless person, worse than useless, for they are a stumbling-block to others...not saying anything but giving credit to the saying that "Silence breeds Consent".


There are those of you who may be reading this and know that Jesus is The Truth, The Way and The Light, but have not yet decided to believe and trust in Him. It has become popular to "think" otherwise, that we are our own source, our own creator and our own fate. All the while , we "KNOW" that there is something greater than ourselves, yet we have not decided or we have become "halt between two opinions".  Doing so, being indecisive, in the most in your face TRUTH, is not only causing you to stumble, but all those who are attached to you.  We are raising our children under the guise of "free will/decision making", but in doing so, we are shielding them from the opportunity to make a decision for themselves and thereby we are causing them to "halt between two opinions".


"HOW LONG HALT YE BETWEEN TWO OPINIONS?" - BE BOLD AND DECIDE TODAY!  As for me, I CHOOSE JESUS!

No comments: