Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Life Lessons

This past Labor Day Weekend of 2010, I planned a trip back to my hometown in Pennsylvania for a Golf Outing with my Class of ’84 Classmates. During this planning, I decided that I would take my boys with me and just have a “guys” weekend…it would do them good to take a trip as we’ve not traveled on vacation this year. Keith Jr has started his senior year in High School and I especially wanted to make a little time with him to bond even more as he is on the verge of manhood.


Once we arrived, we were blessed to be surrounded by lifelong friends. Almost immediately, the stories of old were being shared. I must add that most of those stories, although great, were often very, very over-the-top… sports accolades and accomplishments were told about me to my boys. I could see the sparkle in their eyes as they heard one thing after another concerning their Dad. They were excited and proud of their birth name “White” as this was how everyone yelled out to me while visiting “Hey White, it’s been a long time…”, “Hey White, remember when you…” – being called simply “White” had its purpose…being a twin, they wouldn’t confuse me for Ken and vice versa.

The life lesson taken from this visit wasn’t even given by me, it was given by Ken. He and Keith Jr were talking during our visit and Ken asked him “Well, what do you think? How do you think of your Dad now?” Keith answered “Everybody knows my Dad! I would like to live here” Ken answered my son “Your Dad made a name for him here and is well respected. In order for you to do/be the same, you will have to make your own name and gain your own respect. The respect that you are looking for is earned.”

As Keith Jr was sharing this lesson with me on the way home, we passed Frostburg State University…the college that Ken’s youngest daughter is attending as a freshman. Keith Jr. said “Dad, that’s my school.” I do believe that he is going to work hard to get into school, to contribute positively to society and to earn his respect!

My moniker on this website is “The Same but Different” and that is what took place in the mind of my son. Because of this trip and wise council and having an open mind, Keith Jr. has renewed passion to become all that he can, to be respected and to be an example to others! I’ve taken notice of my son…he’s “The Same but Different”!

Why don’t we all follow the example of Uncle Kenny and take the opportunity to speak positive life lessons into those we love so as to make a difference in the life of another!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I guess I could say, staying in theme, hanging out with you and your boys was also the same, but different. Growing up with you and Ken, I ALWAYS enjoyed spending time with you guys. I couldn't wait to bike over to your house from Bridge Street to kick it with you two. If I go all the way back to South School, I remember you guys being in my life. You two were the closest thing to big bros I had at that time.

And now several years later, spending time with you, Ken, and your boys was the just like old times for me, but better with your boys now. That experience was filled with positive energy for me. Great times.