Friday, October 1, 2010

Thanks for the Reminder!

The other day, my daughter Kaelyn (4yrs old) and I had a day to ourselves.  Both of the boys were off to school and my wife was out at work.  Anyway, we got up early, had a little something to eat (coffee for me) and we started to plan our day.   I started throwing ideas her way: “Hey, let’s go to McDonald’s Play Land”, “How about Chuckie Cheese”, “Let’s go to the Park – never mind, it’s raining”. 
These were all my ideas.  My thought was to get her out of the house on this very rainy day so that she may have some excitement, something to do…to rip and run like 4yr olds are suppose too; heck what kid wants to stay trapped up in a house with her father all day?
 Well, her thoughts were different than mine.  Her idea of a fun day with “Dad” was just that…a day with “Dad”.  She said “Wait here, I’ll be right back…OK?”  Then she went to her room and came back to where I was carrying her Dora the Explorer Back-Pack and it looked STUFFED!!
We sat down and opened her pack to see what was inside.  There were clothes, hair pieces, her toy cell phone, her grocery list and markers and crayons.  She said, “OK, what do you want to do?”  I told her that I would like to color.  Coloring was painless, no running, singing or playing Ms Mary Mack/dressing dolls.  Yeah, let’s color!
As we began coloring, her instruction to me was “Don’t worry Dad if you go outside of the lines…it’s OK”.  I said thanks and asked her what color I should use on the object that I was coloring.  Her response was “It doesn’t matter, whatever you want it to be…alright Dad?”  Man, I was having a blast, just her and I. 
Then I began to realize how special this moment really was…not only for her but for me!  How precious, of all of the choices on things to do and places to go, her delight was to spend time with me…her Dad.  And not just to spend time, but to spend “special” time with me, time where all of the rules and expectations were not relevant (any color, it doesn’t matter if you go outside of the lines).  She honestly didn’t want anything from me but my time and attention!
She pulled out a composition book and started to write all of the words that she knew.  Words like “IT”, “THE”, “DOG”, etc...  She said “Dad, spell your name”.  I did exactly what she asked…”K…E….I…T….H”.  She said “What’s that spell?”  I said that it spelled my name.  She said “No Dad, spell your REAL NAME.”  I told her that I did spell my REAL NAME.  Her response back to me was, “No, YOUR NAME IS DAD, and my name is Kaelyn.”
She began to write a story about me of all that she can recall that I am to her…”My Dad is BIG, My Dad gives me presents, My Dad is strong and carries me to bed at night, My Dad isn’t scared of the dark, etc… It warmed my heart, this exchange of ours. 
You see, I reflected on this special moment and looked at my relationship with my Heavenly Father.  How the time I spend with Him is important to Him and how I affectionately call upon His name as “Father”.  It made me realize even more so, that when I spend time with Him that it is indeed TIME SPENT WITH HIM!  I often find myself coming to Him with a list of things that I want.  Am I truly spending time with Him or simply coming to Him with a list of demands?
Kaelyn made the words of David (below) a living word for me.  I already knew that “My Father” could do anything, that He wasn’t afraid of the dark, that He gives me every good thing….I needed to be reminded that when I spend time…REAL TIME with “my Father” that nothing else matters. 
When I spend time with “My Father” there is joy, peace and love.  I am compelled to tell of His goodness and mercy towards those who call upon His name!
The Psalmist writes it this way:
“Blessed are you who give yourselves over to GOD, turn your backs on the world's "sure thing," ignore what the world worships; the world's a huge stockpile of GOD-wonders and God-thoughts. Nothing and no one comes close to you! I start talking about you, telling what I know, and quickly run out of words. Neither numbers nor words account for you.  Doing something for you, bringing something to you-- that's not what you're after. Being religious, acting pious-- that's not what you're asking for. You've opened my ears so I can listen.  So I answered, "I'm coming. I read in your letter what you wrote about me, And I'm coming to the party you're throwing for me." That's when God's Word entered my life, became part of my very being.   I've preached you to the whole congregation, I've kept back nothing, GOD--you know that.   I didn't keep the news of your ways a secret, didn't keep it to myself. I told it all, how dependable you are, how thorough. I didn't hold back pieces of love and truth for myself alone. I told it all, let the congregation know the whole story.  (Psalm 40:4-10 The Message)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Very cool Keith. I had the opportunity to spend some daddy time with Mark on Saturday as well. We walked around the house with action figures, Iron Man and a yellow power ranger, pretending like we were flying them around. We put out fires and arrested some bad guys. We built "castles" of blocks for their headquarters.

You point is great. Reminds of this verse from Psalm 131:
Surely I have calmed and quieted my soul, Like a weaned child with his mother; Like a weaned child is my soul within me.

Sometimes when we spend time with God we are restless and have an agenda. Its nice to spend time without an agenda. Just like a weaned child that is calm and content just to be with mom/dad/God.

Keith A. White said...

Amen, Dave! Glad to hear of your time with Mark. It is so very important that we slow down and take in EVERY THING and EVERY MOMENT!

I plan on tweaking and cutting back my "Agenda". As like Kaelyn and Mark, God wants our undivided attention and love for Him.

I want to live Psalm 131! Thanks my friend!

Cindy Trudeau said...

This blog was so heart warming to read. I wish more parents would realize how important one on one time is with their children, not just the little ones but all of their children. Everyone needs to feel special once in a while, to feel they are loved. It truly does make it easier to see where you are failing to spend alone time with God also. Children are such a blessing from God. I wish more parents would see and understand how blessed they are.